Friday, July 27, 2018

Those Who Hunger and Thirst

Photo by Taylor Ann Wright on Unsplash.com



Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness 
for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6

Blessed (loved and favored by God) are those who hunger (used figuratively: to crave desperately or to long for) and thirst (used figuratively: to eagerly seek refreshment for the soul) for righteousness (a heart right with God) for they shall be filled (satisfied by spiritual blessings.)

Have you seen the pictures of the children in third-world countries who are emaciated? It breaks my heart! Their parents can't go to the store and get nourishing food. They can't go to the refrigerator and get a glass of cold water.

We interact with people every day who crave fulfillment but don't know that Jesus is the Bread of Life. They seek refreshment don't know that Jesus is Living Water. They might search for these things in many other ways, but only God can satisfy their deep longings.

This is a beautiful promise: those who crave to be God's children will be filled with Him. It's also a call to action to believers.

How can those who yearn find what they crave?

In Romans 10:14, Paul writes, How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

Now, I'm not suggesting we all grab a poster, a Bible, and a megaphone and stand on a street corner. As believers, we're called to reveal Jesus to those around us. Although talking about His work in our lives is important, perhaps living Him before others are our most powerful "words." Sure, we're not going to be perfect. We can testify when we reach out to meet needs, but it's often more powerful when we walk in confidence of His forgiveness. 

During my time at Johnson Space Center, I worked with people of several faiths and watched them cringe with fear at the retribution they might face from their gods when they sinned. A few asked me the cause of my peace when I displeased my God. It gave me an opportunity to share the forgiveness Jesus brings when we believe in Him. When I confess my sin to God, I am assured of His forgiveness. 

Most walked away and I prayed that a seed had been planted. Occasionally, one would ask a few more questions and walk away, pondering my words. 

Step by step, we reveal Jesus' love for us and for everyone around us.  We're richly blessed and, if the seeker turns to Jesus, they will be filled with the only One who can provide true satisfaction.

Let us learn from you: Share a time when God has used you, through obedience or disobedience, to testify of His love?




No comments:

Post a Comment