Thursday, June 6, 2019

Two Wrong Choices: Psalm 23:2


This is the second post in my series on Psalm 23.
To see the first post, click here.


He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters Psalm 23:2

Green pastures…quiet waters.
A picture of a peaceful time with God.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

Make is the operative word here, friends.

Even though it sounds like a done deal, we always have the choice to say “no.” I can tell you from personal experience, that’s not wise. You don’t want to refuse God because He will MAKE you.

When my girls were little, I foolishly decided that it was a good time to graduate school. Needed my head examined, right?

So, there I was, spending my days as the mother of two preschool girls. And my nights, (you know, when you supposed to sleep) pouring over books.

Time with my husband fit in there somewhere. And, in between yawns, I prepared to teach on Sunday mornings.
 

If God was telling me to slow down, I couldn't hear Him over the noise of the train barreling down the tracks – straight at me.

Then it happened: I had a seizure.

During the hours in the emergency room, God said, loud and clear, 
I am making you lie down!

While the doctors tried to stabilize my medicines, I couldn't drive. College went on the back burner. I became a stay-at-home Mom – literally.

I chose to ignore His “Make” and, finally, He made me anyway.

When you hear His voice telling you to slow down and look for a green-pasture time with Him, go along with it. Don’t learn the hard way, like I did.



He leads me beside still waters.

The word “lead” implies there is a follower. Another choice: would I follow?

So, I was stuck at home, and not happy about it; He made me stay there. I chose to gripe and complain, and ask Him why He was doing this to me.

I refused to be quiet enough to hear the Living Water call me to follow Him along still waters.

Time went on. They couldn't get me stable, so I kept having seizures. The time I couldn't drive stretched into a seemingly endless train of months.

Finally, when I ran out of pity-party words to say, I turned to God and asked, “What are you trying to teach me?”

I heard a whisper, “Choose to follow Me. Submit to My call to green pastures. Come with me to walk beside still waters.” 

I took a deep breath and surrendered. I experienced the beauty of green meadows. I could hear His voice in the quiet of still waters.

What took me so long? Two wrong choices: I ignored the Lord and refused to follow Him. Not mistakes you want to make.

When I think about it, why did He have to MAKE me? Why didn’t I crave that precious time?

Imagine lying down on the cool grass and smelling the scent of wildflowers. Imagine the peace of still waters.

God asks us to spend a few minutes letting our minds rest in His cool, beautiful presence. He offers us sweet, quiet moments in His Word, soaking our hearts in His love and wisdom.
  • He loves you beyond anything you can imagine.
  • He desires to see you relax in the green pastures of His presence.
  • He calls you to revel in the quiet of His Word.

Choose Him and you will find peace and beauty.

How has God made you lie down?
Have you found the peace of green pastures and still waters?


5 comments:

  1. Amen Ms. Sherry. God did not make us to get lost in the busyness of this vaporous life. He made us to seek and commune with Him. You're right; when we don't listen to His urging, to His call, He will speak louder! God's blessings ma'am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God puts such importance on rest and we should do the same. Our minds tell us we are wasting time but we are really rejuvenating. Those green pastures are calling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sherry, that is such a stirring post! How often we grab the reins of our lives to do what we think we need. God is so loving to bring us under control. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, I tweeted this for you. Also, would you be interested in me sharing this (or another one) on my Serious Wednesday's posts? Let me know. Either way is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your precious words, memories and learning.

    ReplyDelete