Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dancing the Can’t Can’t



For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

I have a confession to make. When God calls me to do something, I immediately say, “I can’t! Even if it’s something I've done before, it doesn't matter. “That was a fluke. I was just lucky. I’ll never be able to do it again.”

If it’s a new challenge, I really freak out. “I've never done this before! I’ll make a fool of myself.”


When God calls, we all panic, don’t we? We assume we can’t - No way. No how. No chance. 

We’re unqualified, incapable, and not smart enough.

We measure our abilities and failure is a given. 

But we forget to factor the Holy Spirit into the equation. What we lack, He has.

He is infinitely qualified, completely capable, and the source of all knowledge.

There’s a saying: If God calls you, He equips you. Isn’t that what Ephesians 2:10 says?

We were created by God, created specifically for the works He prepared for us before we were born. When He formed us in our mothers’ wombs, He designed us with those works in mind. He shaped our strengths, weaknesses, and personalities to match the life He planned for us.

And then He placed the Holy Spirit in us to empower us.

When we say, “I can’t,” what I’m really saying is, “Holy Spirit, You can’t.” 

“I’m not qualified.” means “Holy Spirit, You’re not qualified.”

“I’m not capable” translates to “Holy Spirit, You’re not capable.”

It’s true, We can’t do anything on our own. It’s also true, With the Holy Spirit, we can do anything. 

What a mystery: God places Himself inside our weak vessels.

What a privilege: He chooses us to serve Him.

What a joy: He works in us and through us to accomplish His work.

Forget the “I can’t,” and rejoice in the “He can!”

For nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37


When has God called you out of your comfort zone? How did He enable you to accomplish His purposes?

2 comments:

  1. Sherry, how perfect for me! If you have time, read my post for Sunday on my blog. It came from a card our S.S. teacher sent me and still gives me a thrill to read. This post of yours is such an encouragement to me. It's so hard for me to speak in front of a room full of staring eyes. But God can. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole. It's wonderful to see a comment! My internet's been down since I did this post and I figured no one would even know it existed. You are such an encouragement!

      Delete