Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The 7 Wonders of Psalm 23: Part Six

After a couple weeks break, I'm back at it. 





Check out a wonderful blog, The Stream's Edge by Jeanne Doyon
to read her post on the tools of the shepherd.


Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4b


When you read this, what comes to mind first?

My eyes focus on that word rod and my mind flashes back to my childhood.

“If you do that one more time…” And I usually did.

“What did you just say to me?” And I’d repeat it.

Getting the idea that I wasn’t the brightest kid on the block?

A rod isn’t a comforting thing.

But, for David, God’s rod and His staff brought him security, peace, and a sense of God’s protection.

We must be missing something.

Remember that David was a shepherd at heart. He understood his Father’s love and care for His children.

The rod was a symbol of the shepherd’s sovereignty and complete responsibility over his flock.



With his rod, the shepherd counted his sheep and took special notice of them. He was aware of their needs at all times and the sheep could rest in his care.



When the lion or bear came to attack his flock, the rod was David's defense weapon.


David found comfort in the rod of sovereignty his Father held over his life. He trusted the Lord to hold him close in His heart always, continually aware of his needs. He knew that, when his enemies attacked, God's rod was there to protect him.

I admit I’m a control freak. I want to be in charge of what’s happening today and to make my own decisions for all the days ahead.

Because I don’t surrender to my Father and rest in His sovereignty, I panic when things don’t go as I planned. When I trust in God’s love and care, I can be at peace when life takes an unexpected turn. I can rest in knowing that God sees all of my tomorrows and that He is never taken by surprise. He is my sovereign Protector.

We might not all be aware of the shepherd’s rod but we all are familiar with his staff and its curve at the end.


Countless times, David would’ve reached out and caught the neck one of his straying sheep to protect it from wandering away from the protection of the flock. He would keep an innocent lamb close to his side. He was continually alert, ready to rescue his sheep from danger

David rested in God’s protection. He trusted God to guide his path and to draw him back to His side when he wandered into danger. He knew that God held him close when

David chose to find comfort in God’s rod and staff. He chose to rest in God’s sovereignty and to be secure in His protection.

Sometimes, the path we walk can be difficult. We can choose to panic and/or have a temper fit – like I do – or we can rest in our Father’s sovereignty. Trusting is hard when things seem to be falling apart. No one can teach us that lesson better than David. He trusted when things seemed impossible, when God’s promises went unfulfilled year after year.

Close you eyes and remember all the times God was with you in the past. Trust me, He can be trusted.

If your life is like mine, it’s peppered with some pretty dumb choices. I’m always sure I know where I want to go and what I want to do when I get there. I’m good at ploughing ahead but not so good at measuring consequences. I can’t count the times I’ve been skirting the edge of a cliff when God yanked me to safety with the hook on His staff.

He’s proved His love to me over and over. I’ve finally learned to check with Him before I make any rash choices. I still make dumb choices but I do a better job of hearing His warnings before I’m in too deep.

Remember all the times you’ve been rescued. All the times He’s protected you from yourself. Like David, you can find comfort in the Lord’s staff.


Photo credit Jesus as a Shepherd worldsundayschool.com
Photo credit Shepherd with rod: Biblical Hermenuetics
Photo credit Shepherd with staff: Bible Fun for Kids

When have you found comfort in God’s sovereignty in hard times?

When has He rescued you from the mess you created by your own choices?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I never thought of the 'rod and the staff' in this way, but you're very right. His comfort is amazing, too. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His comfort is amazing! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to my blog post about the Shepherd

    ReplyDelete