Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bring Fear into the Light

The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1


My Mom was the family worrier. She worried about everything. Her life was filled with “What if?” and the answers always seemed to be bad.
 
 
I know it’s a cliché but she really did worry when things were going well – certainly something bad was right around the corner! She’d say things like, “Friday the 13th comes on Wednesday this month.”
 
We chuckled. We teased her. We called her a worry-wart. We didn’t take it seriously.


Worry-wart: a casual name we use to describe someone who dreads tomorrow; they’re afraid of everything. Someone who’s paralyzed by anxiety.

 

But God sheds light on our fears and enables us to trust Him.

He shines on our anxiety and it fades away.
His light dispels dread and replaces it with faith in His love.



It doesn’t happen overnight – a pattern of fear is hard to break.
 
But, soon, His light overwhelms the darkness and frees us to be the people He created us to be.


Are you anxious about tomorrow?
How has God freed you from fear?




 

2 comments:

  1. I know when growing up around a parent day in and day out you see things others are not exposed too. The one thing I loved so much about your mom and my aunt was her laugh and humor. She loved life to its fullest and yet though she may have had a hint of pessimism when I was around I always felt it to be overcome with her love for family and friends. I miss her greatly and will always love the encouragement she gave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly right, Mom had a wonderful sense of humor! You never knew what she was going to say. I inherited a bit of that from her.
      She did love life and maybe that's why she was always a little apprehensive as to what might be coming next. She so badly wanted everything to be perfect for those she loved. I think that was the source of most of her worries.

      Delete