Monday, April 7, 2014

Afraid of the Dark?


 
 
It's dark!
 
There are monsters in the closet, I know there are.
 
My Dad looked inside and told me the closet was empty.
 
But I know they're there. They're magical and their invisible to grown-ups.
 
When I was a child, I hid under the covers on my bed and clinched a flashlight in my hands, trusting its weak glow to keep evil at bay.

I'm all grown-up now, but I'm still afraid of the dark: fear, anger, frustration, all lurk in the shadows.  Childhood flashlights don't work...but what will?

Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105


That's easy, I thought.

So I sat in the mornings with my Bible in my lap; my eyes rolled over words my brain didn't see. I mentally raced through a few verses I remembered from Bible Drill. Then I leaped up and headed out the door.
 

But darkness still came:  disappointment, insecurity, impatience. Perplexed, I read those words again. My eyes focused on the word lamp. A lamp sits on a table and you turn it on and off, right?
 
Wait, turn it on and off. For a lamp to shine light on my fear and anger, I have to chose to turn it on.

http:/karnscoc.org caption
Chose to read God's Word,
not just scan it.
Chose to store it's truths
in my mind.
Chose to call on His truth  
to shed light on my thoughts and dispel disappointment and insecurity. 
 
Your Word is a lamp... If I want light to shine around my feet as I walk, I have carry His Word with me.  If I hold onto His truths, my feet won't stumble on the rocks in my path.
 

 

How has God's Word brightened your path? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry! Thanks for dropping by my blog. I love the idea that you can turn on the light of God's word by CHOOSING to trust it! That's a great concept. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing - that's the hard part, isn't it? Thank you for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that verse: Psalm. 119:105. It's so true, too. Whenever we're in trouble, that light, like a lighthouse, is a beacon to guide us on the right path. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome verse. We all need that beacon, don't we? Thanks for coming by!

      Delete