Friday, October 17, 2014

Which Bird Are You?


 
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young--a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. Psalm 84:3

Believe it or not, there are hundreds of birds mentioned in Scripture.

Eagles –Isaiah 40:31 says we will be like eagles: strong and able to soar at amazing heights (sounds like Superman). They are symbols of power and strength.
 
 
Doves are small, usually white birds that coo a lot – all night long! Matthew 3:16 says the Holy Spirit descended like a dove. They are symbols of peace and serenity. 

Ravens are large black birds that feast on dead animals. In Genesis, Noah released one from the ark and it didn’t return. It probably got distracted, eating bodies. Gross. They symbolize cruelty and Satan.



Peacocks are one of the most beautiful birds; they love to strut and show off their magnificent tails. No wonder Solomon was captivated by them. They are symbols of glory, pride, and the all-seeing eyes of God.
 


Ossifrages are huge vultures with a bite so strong it can break bones. It doesn’t symbolize anything – I just had to throw it in here because I’ve never heard of it before.
 
And my favorite:
 
Sparrows are small, nondescript  birds, They’re not worth much because they’re everywhere.
A dime a dozen.
  • I can’t be an eagle; I’m not strong and powerful.
  • I’m certainly not a dove; I’m hardly ever serene.
  • No way I’m a peacock; I’m have nothing to strut.
But I can be a sparrow: insignificant, nondescript, nothing to set me apart.
 
Except to God.
  • To Him, I am his child, forgiven by mercy, saved by grace.
  • To Him, I am precious; Zechariah 2:8 says I am the apple of His eye.
  • To Him, I am unique, gifted, one of a kind.
I am so special to God that I have a place by his altar.
  • He is King of Kings yet I am welcome at his throne.
  • He is Lord of Lords yet I live in the shadow of His wings.
  • He is Almighty God and yet Deuteronomy 32:11 says He cares for me with the tenderness of an eagle caring for her young.
Heavenly Father, let me never forget that I am loved!



 
How does God show His love for you?
 



2 comments:

  1. Your post was charming, Sherry! I'm glad God loves us, His "sparrows."I wonder what kind of bird God would be pictured as? The eagle? You mentioned "the shadow of His wings." So it made me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Deut 32:3-16, Moses describes the way the Lord takes care of His people and he compares God to an eagle. The glory and power certainly fits Him.

      Delete