Friday, May 8, 2015

Chasing Rainbows


 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?’ Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:25, 31-33

This is my bank. I run in there to get money. If they’re closed, I whip through the drive-thru or the ATM.

There’s always something. A new top. A pair of jeans. Breakfast on Saturday mornings.

It’s quite fitting that the name of my bank is Chase Bank.

The question is, what am I chasing? The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

We’d like a new car. One of ours is getting old but it’s still reliable.
The people down the street have a nice patio in their backyard. It would be great to have one like that.
Half my clothes are long since out of style. They’re still in good shape but I’m tired of some of them.
We’re careful not to spend more than we can handle but I sure would like the things some of my friends have.

I’m chasing things.

Seek first… I say that verse all the time.  Of course I seek Him first. Don't I?

Do I? 

But there is a word in that passage that I’d just as soon ignore: need.

I have a very loose definition of the word need. For me, want and need have vague edges and overlap a lot.
  • I need to be decently clothed; I want the latest style.
  • I need to be nourished; I want to eat until I’m stuffed.
  • I need a reliable car; I want a new one.

The list goes on and on. In truth, 
  • I need God.
  • I need His Word.
  • I need His presence.
  • I need fellow believers to love and support me.

I want to be able to say with David: But I will see Your face in righteousness; when I awake, I will be satisfied with Your presence. Psalm 17:15 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) (emphasis mine)

How does God meet your true needs? 




2 comments:

  1. He meets them daily - and helps me work on the house full of wants that need to leave. Thanks Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have a house full of wants, don't we? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete