Monday, September 23, 2013

When?

This is the second post on ways to have an effective quiet time. I hate that term because some of us never have any "quiet" time. But it's the only thing I can think of to call it.

If you read Friday's post, I discussed  why it's worth the time and effort to have time with God. You can scan down if you'd like to read that earlier post.

But today we'll look at the question, WHEN?

All the time, I've hear: "You need to have your time with God first thing in the morning." "You need to start your day with God." "You should spend enough time to build a relationship with Him."


I have a good, old-fashioned Christian term for that: Poppycock!

If you have a perfect, consistent schedule, you can do that. Otherwise, sometimes it's catch-as-catch-can.

Is the house already hectic when your feet hit the floor? Toddlers on the go, school kids to haul out of bed and get on their way to school. First thing in the morning - impossible!

A wise woman advised me to use the kid's naptime for myself, rather than to do housework. I stuck to it and used that time for my quiet time. It was the only time of the day I could focus - even for a few minutes.



If you work fulltime, early morning might work, it might not. Some of us can have it in the evening; I fall asleep.


So what's left? Maybe we could carve out a bit of time at lunch. Perhaps a few minutes before we head home?


The point is, your quiet time should be when it's quiet. No formulas, no must-do legalizing.

God wants meaningful time, not duty. A friend, Linda, posted this today and it's so true. "According to Oswald Chambers (My Utmost for His Highest) even 5 minutes in God's Word will enrich the soul."

Do you have an hour? Fantastic! Do you schedule it at the same time every day? Great! Do you try to focus on Him for 5 minutes, whenever you can grab it? Wonderful!

Give Him what you have, when you have it, and He'll bless you.



Is it hard to find time to visit with God? How have you fit it in?

Do you have a system that works for you? Share it and it might help the rest  of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment