Thursday, January 23, 2014

I Love Dandelions!





Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves,
and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning
and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Ephesians 4:14



I love dandelions! I have since I was a child. I pick them and gently blow; the light feathers float away. It makes me smile every time.

It’s hard to find a dandelion here in west Texas. All you see are bare stems sticking up from the grass; all the feathers torn away by the wind. But, occasionally, I see one out in a field.

As I blew on one the other day, I was reminded of Ephesians 4:14,

“Blown here and there by every wind of teaching.”

For many of us, our knowledge of scripture is like the feathers of the dandelion. We are blown apart by this doctrine and that. We float on teachings that coddle us with what we want to hear rather than challenge us with the hard truths of God’s Word.

Where am I in my grasp of God’s teachings?

Do I stand firm on the truths He proclaims or do I float around with every gentle wind?

Am I attached securely to my beliefs or am I weak in my faith?

God's desire is that we be firmly implanted in His Word. What can I do to strengthen my bond to Him? Time in Scripture, time in prayer, reading devotionals?


What works for you?

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy!!! I see it also in some churches, that have changed their viewpoints from when I was a child. What used to be unheard of is now embraces, just because the societal winds blow them that way. At least God never changes. For that I'm thankful!

    Thanks for the post! It made me think and miss the dandelions (we have SNOW and nothing green right now...trade ya?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it in terms of churches but you are certainly right.

      Delete